The mission of the NIH is to seek fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems and the application of that knowledge to enhance health, lengthen life, and reduce illness and disability.
The mission of the NINDS is to reduce the burden of neurological disease – a burden borne by every age group, by every segment of society, and by people all over the world.
The mission of the NIMHD is to lead scientific research to improve minority health and eliminate health disparities. To accomplish this, NIMHD:
- Plans, reviews, coordinates, and evaluates all minority health and health disparities research and activities of the National Institutes of Health
- Conducts and supports research in minority health and health disparities
- Promotes and supports the training of a diverse research workforce
- Translates and disseminates research information
- Fosters innovative collaborations and partnerships